What is the Young Carer Bursary Program?
This program offers 12 month scholarships of $3000 to 333 young carers who are currently studying.
To be eligible you must be:
- Aged 12-25 while receiving the funding*
- Identify as a young carer
- Studying at secondary school level or beyond, through to an Undergraduate degree** or other course endorsed by a recognised training organisation for 12 months
- Australian citizen or permanent resident
- Not already qualified with an Undergraduate degree** or above
- Not in receipt of another scholarship or bursary in the year you receive the Young Carer Bursary funds.
*This means you cannot turn 26 while receiving the bursary.
**Undergraduate degrees include: Advanced Diploma, Bachelor Degree, Bachelor Degree with honours or Associate degrees)
Apply for the 2019 bursary online from 9:00am 25 July 2018 - 5:00pm 5 September 2018.
Why do we need this program?
This program aims to relieve the inequality young carers experience while combining study and caring responsibilities. The long-term aim of this program is to ensure young carers have the same opportunity to engage in employment and enjoy long term financial security.
Am I a Young Carer?
You're a Young Carer if:
- You're aged between 12-25
- Helping care for a person or people, who are experiencing; a disability, a mental health condition, an addiction problem, a chronic illness or is frail aged.
Young Carers often provide emotional and physical support to their care recipient. They may complete tasks which the care recipient would otherwise complete individually such as personal care, cleaning, assisting with medications, or keeping them company.